The Steps for Indian students to apply for a visa to study in the USA is straightforward. Make sure that the application is completed in a timely and Perfect way. The USA Department of State and USA Embassy offices welcome visa applications Procedure from international students and The USA Department of State issued ~710,000 student, exchange, and vocational visas in the year 2010 – 2011 and the worldwide application Approval rate was over 80%.
Types of student visas for USA:
Academic studies (F visa for Students): For people who want to study or conduct research at an accredited U.S. college or University. time perioad of this VISA is More as compared to other students VISA.
Academic studies as an Exchange Visitor (J visa for Students): For people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the United States. The J visa is the primary visa for educational and cultural exchange programs. This Visa issued for the short time Period.
Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa for Students): For people who want to study or train at a non-academic institution in the U.S.
Appointment for Student Visa USA
Students for U.S. student visas are required to appear in person for an interview :
USA Visa Application Process
1. Fill an online form i.e. DS160 available on the CEAC (Consular Electronic Application Center) website : http://www.ceac.state.gov
2. Student has to pay US Visa Fee US $160 at a designated branch of AXIS Bank or Citibank before scheduling the Visa date. First create a profile : www.ustraveldocs.com
3. Student has to block the date from the website www.ustraveldocs.com and finally get a printout of the Interview Appointment Sheet.
4. Student has to pay online “SEVIS Fees” (The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) of US $ 200 through credit card only. http://www.fmjfee.com
USA Visa Fees payment : Axis Bank /Citibank
Student has to pay US Visa fees at a designated branch of AXIS Bank or Citibank before scheduling the Visa date.
• Student needs to submit “Receipt for payment” online generated slip to bank to make the payment.
• Visa Application fee is 160$ shall be paid in Indian Rupees i.e. Rs.10,560 @66. This fee is non refundable & non transferable.
• Once the payment has been made, bank will provide you bank reference number. This reference number is also needed to block visa interview appointment. Student can block the visa interview & OFC date after 3 to 4 hours of visa fee payment.
DS 160 – Online Application
US Visa Application (Form DS160) has to be completed online for your visa.
• For this one has to log on to U.S. Department of State website : www.ceac.state.gov (Consular Electronic Application Center)
• Select a location where you will be applying for this visa. Start Application : Application form DS – 160
• Carefully follow the instruction & fill the application. Once Student has completed the DS-160, print the confirmation page. Right Side of the application is reflecting barcode (known as the “CEAC barcode”). You will need this barcode, in addition to the Axis Bank / Citibank Fee receipt reference number, to confirm your visa interview appointment.
Booking of Dates
• After filling the DS 160 properly, start blocking the visa interview date.
• Visit : http://www.ustraveldocs.com and –> Apply for U.S. Visa and –> Schedule your appointment with the US Embassy / Consulate.
• Axis Bank / Citibank bar code and Consular Electronic Application Center bar code is required for blocking the date. (be careful while entering this code) *After blocking the dates download Interview Appointment page and a checklist page.
Offsite Facilitation Center (OFC)
Student has to Schedule Offsite Facilitation Center appointment. This appointment will allow you to have your fingerprints and photo taken. This appointment must be at least 1 day before your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.
For your Offsite Facilitation Center appointment, Student will need to bring:
USA Visa Interview Appointment
Visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate. Following Student visit to the OFC to have photo and fingerprints taken, Student will then visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of visa interview.
Personal Interview Questions for Students
Some Frequently ask questions in the Student Visa Interview process.
The student should be counseled psychologically and technically and should be prepared for the visa interview
The general guidelines/sample for visa procedure in detail are given in separate file which include :